Monday, October 5, 2009

Which Netbook should I get ?

I want Asus....
Why ?
1. Asus was the first to come up with Netbook (EeePC)
and Why is it called that, instead of some other cooler name, I don't get.
2. My sis has had her Asus notebook for around 8 years now and it's still in a very good condition and battery can still last for around 1 hour.
Although I don't know the lifespan of the EeePC ;p

So.....
Asus it is then.... but which one ?
Okay...
> 10" is a good size
> Color is a matter of choice
> Matte screen / Glossy screen is also a matter of choice
But I definitely prefer Matte screen.
> They all have a battery power ranging from 9-11 hours
but anything over 5 hours is good for me.
> Features are more or less the same, 802.11n, USB ports, some with better Bluetooth, etc etc
> They cost ranging from US$369 - US$420 roughly... Prices may go down in time ;)


Asus EeePC 1000HE

ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10.1-Inch Blue Netbook - 9.5 Hour Battery Life
This is an older model, but I totally prefer this one.
Pros :
Matte screen !!!
Removeable battery, and you can open the Netbook from underneath to upgrade RAM or replace HDD.
Cons :
Weight 1.45kg/3.2 pounds A little heavier, but what is a few pounds/grams
(Although my Fujitsu 14" notebook is approx 1.7 kg ;p)
Older design, a little bulkier than the new Seashell design

I personally think Asus EeePC 1000HE is one to get if you really need Matte screen !!! :)
It's going away soon though, because it's being replaced by the newer 1005HA model
make sure it's 1005HA-P (1.66Ghz N280) not the 1005HA-V (1.6Ghz N270)

Here's a link to a review of Asus EeePC 1000HE I found on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hciamhLW-SM

Asus 1000HE and WINDOWS XP
If I'm not mistaken, for the 1000HE, It takes 30 sec to boot up to Windows and around 40 sec for it to be fully functional.

WINDOWS 7
1 min more to get fully booted up to Win 7

Asus EeePC 1005HA

ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-PU1X-BU 10.1-Inch Blue Netbook - 10.5 Hour Battery Life
If you want a nicer model, and can tolerate glossy screen
then the Asus EeePC 1005HA is the right one for you
Pros :
Seashell design
Weight 1.27kg / 2.8 pounds . Lighter than 1000HE
Better Bluetooth
Removeable battery, and you can open the Netbook from underneath to upgrade RAM
Slightly longer Battery life
Cons :
Glossy screen
Can't open HDD hatch, well.... I can't ;p
1005HA doesn't have an on off for the wireless (I take this as a Con)

So If you don't care the glossy screen and not being able to replace HDD
Then Asus EeePC 1005HA is for you.

Here's a link to a review of Asus EeePC 1005HA I found on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qL5AV3bHE

Asus EeePC 1008HA

ASUS Eee PC 1008HA Seashell 10.1-Inch Pearl White Netbook - 6 Hour Battery Life
hmmm....
This one is peculiar
Pros :
Nice design
Lighter, 2.4 pounds
Thinner
Cons :
Glossy screen
Non removable battery
and I suppose a clueless girl like me can't DIY to add RAM or replace HDD either
2 USB instead of 3
less battery life
But it's one nice looking netbook though.


Asus EeePC 1101HA

ASUS Eee PC 1101HA-MU1X-BK 11.6-Inch Black Netbook - 11 Hour Battery Life
This is the 11.6 inch model, weight 3.04 lbs
and I'd love to get this one instead of the 10"
It's not entirely bigger in size, it's actually about the same size if you don't really pay detailed attention ;p
But it's a slower machine than the other netbooks (1.3Ghz Z520)
(and some say the image/text on screen might be too small)
So I'll probably wait till a slightly faster one comes out.


Okay.... So....
How do you choose which one is right for you ?
Yes they all have similar features.
Yes they all have glossy surface, so it's going to be gleaming with oily fingerprints, but you can always get skins, yup, it's a sticker you stick on the whole surface of the netbook, and it also says that there won't be any residue when the sticker is removed, so problem solved on dat department.
Noise and Heat ? I've dealt with a noisy & hot (literary) Acer Ferrari notebook, so it's not a biggie.

So The Question is :
What do you need the netbook for ?
Do you need it to take notes in class ?
Do you need to bring it everywhere with you and then transfer data to a more powerful machine at home ?
Well, For me ......
I need a small, portable, cheap Netbook with long battery life that I can bring everywhere.
I need it to write (blog drafts, thoughts, etc)
(I don't like writing on a little book and then I have to retype everything to a computer.)
I need it to go online (blogging, emails, light websurfing)
I need it to temporary store photos, music
And that's about it.
I don't care about benchmark tests, other tests, etc etc, I don't even know what they are ;p
It's a small Netbook, so it's gotta be slower than a Notebook, that's a given.
I don't need a more advanced operating system (Vista, Win7) that may slow down the machine.
I'm not going to play games so I don't mind the lower graphic resolution.
I don't really care about the design, well I do actually, tremendously ;p but I want Matte screen.

So this is my personal choice :
First choice : I'll get the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE, yes for the Matte screen because I will also be using my Netbook outdoors.
If I can't get it....
Second choice : I'll wait for the successor of the ASUS Eee PC 1101HA
, which will hopefully be faster, but I dunno when it's going to come out or if it's coming out at all.
Otherwise
Third choice : I'll just get ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-P
(I find it weird that the newer Asus EeePC 1005HA is slightly cheaper than the older model 1000HE)

But the most important thing to do is have a look at the Netbook
Feel it in your hands,
Can you type with the smaller keyboard size
Can you use the trackpad well
(I got frustrated using my friend's Sony VAIO trackpad while on the otherhand she can use it easily)
If you know that they work well with you
Well... Now it's just a matter of getting them to your home :)

If I don't care about Matte/Glossy screen, then the ASUS Eee PC 1005HA-P would be my best choice. :)
Is there like a screen-size Matte sticker to stick on your screen to make it Matte ?
oooo Actually there is.... a lot of em....Go search "Matte / Anti-Glare Screen Protector"
Just realized if they sell those for cellphones, then they have em for notebook screens too ;p
But I want Matte screen without having to have air bubbles inside the sticker/protector... so...

Actually, If Chinese manufacturers start mass producing Small (10") & Cheap Toy Netbooks for kids and it has a feature that allow me to type stuff and save and transfer it to a Flashdisk/USB Key, then I'm more than happy to buy that one instead ;p
Let's say US$20 ? US$35 perhaps ? ;P

No comments: