Friday, April 24, 2009

Acer Ferrari Notebook / Laptop

So....
In 2004, yes dat was a long time ago :P
I bought a new laptop.
Acer Ferrari 3000Lmi
yeayy right....
It was one of the best buy ever, for 4 years at least.

I know people are saying that you should stay away from Acer.
I also heard people saying to get Acer's business line for better quality.
But I bought their top of the line laptop, at that time.
It had Ferrari's logo, so, a lot of responsibility there.

A pic of my Ferrari's notebook ?
ohh... it's sitting right next to me.
I can't be bothered to take a pic and upload it here :P
but it's the shiny red one.
Looks like brand new, coz I took such a good care of it ;p

I finally did take a pic of it :)

oh red color always looks blotchy on low resolution.

Anyhoo....
the laptop / notebook, worked fine for 4 years.
Yup, it ran a bit hot and was a bit loud.
But it never caused me any problems.
Everything is still working fine until now, except that it can't write to CD anymore, but it can still write to DVD.
It's gotten a bit slow over the years, due to a lot of programs there and of course, compared to the Core2Duo or the quad core, well.... it's quite slow. *wow I'm being so polite*

I got it with Norton antivirus preinstalled, and Windows XP.
I got a Virus once, yes Norton was running, I then installed Mcafee and problems solved.

I rarely use the battery, so I took it out on the second month and put it in my drawer.
then everytime I wanna use it, the battery seems to last less and less.
And it's totally dead now.
I don't even use the battery that much.
My sis got a 7 year old Asus notebook, battery always attached no matter what, and now the battery still gives for an hour or so.

Anyway, my Acer notebook was kinda slow about 2 years ago.
so I wanted to reformat it.
by reformat, I meant re-install XP using their Recovery Disc.
I don't know if it's the right terms, but you get the point.
So... I called Acer tech support, every guy that I asked on how to reformat my notebook myself was telling me to just bring the laptop in because it was too complicated to do it myself or saying how I might delete essential files, etc etc.
They refuse to advice me on how to reformat the laptop myself.
Anyhooooo..........
That's when I turn to the internet.
I emailed Acer's representative on like 5 different countries to get responses about how bad their tech support guy was.
and I went to forums to find out how to do it myself.

Finally I reformatted the laptop myself anyway.
It was so easy to do, it took I don't know 1 hour ? 2 hours ? I forgot.
But I reformatted it and re-installed all programs.

Anyway...
Acer responded via email and a supervisor of their tech support or whatever, emailed me back and apologized and offered to assist me in my problems.
D'oh... my problems solved anyway.... he should just tell the tech support people to actually "support" instead of advicing people to bring in their laptops to Acer service center.

There....

So... will I ever buy Acer notebook/laptop again ?
I dunno, I might , but only their top of the line products, though.

My Acer Ferrari 3000Lmi
Pros :
- No problems in 4 years.
It's still working now, my mum uses it to browse the internet, but mostly it's just sitting there.
- Pre-installed Antivirus wasn't really protecting me from viruses.
- Although a bit hot and loud, it's still tolerable.

Cons :
- Battery life is short.
- CD-DVD writer won't write to cd anymore.
- Tech support is so so.
- The letters on the keyboard are disappearing, they don't stick well.

No comments: