Friday, April 24, 2009

How to change the harddisk of your notebook ?

A few months ago (Feb 2009), my Acer Ferrari's harddisk drive crashed,
well... it made a cluck cluck sound everytime I turn the laptop on.
I can't go to windows and it says :
file missing/corrupted : (windows root) \systems32\hal.dll
then I went to BIOS, and harddisk is not detected.

So after 4 years of No problems with Acer Ferrari 3000,
I now have a dead hard disk. huhuhu :(
So... I called Acer Tech support again,
they said the hdd is definitely dead, bring it in to replace it.
US$ 65 for 80GB (IDE, 2.5" HDD)
and US$115 for 120 GB (IDE, 2.5" HDD)
They'll give you only 3 months warranty for the new hdd.
So I asked acer what brand of hdd they use ?
They wouldn't say. They actually refuse to tell you what brand they use.
So retarded right ?

But someone in a forum said it was easy to replace your own hdd.
My notebook's not under warranty anymore anyway, so I tried unscrewing the hdd cover on my notebook.
Kinda scared I might wreck it even more , honestly, but hey....
So, I unscrewed it but I didn't know how to pull out the tiny Hard disk out of its place.
I tried pulling the metal thingy, Don't !!!!!
There's a tape/transparent plastic thingy tucked in there, use that tape to pull out the HDD.

This is my first time ever looking at such a tiny 2.5" HDD.
(front and back view)

So 4 years of me is in that little thing ?

So Acer uses Hitachi HDD, big deal !
I don't know why the Tech support was so secretive about that.
It's a Hitachi Travelstar, IDE, 4200 rpm, 2.5" HDD, 60 GB, and it's not working anymore.

So... I bought myself another Hitachi Travelstar, IDE, 5400 rpm, 2,5" HDD, 80GB
It cost around US$52 from a Hitachi Distributor, with 1 year warranty.
So, I didn't only get a cheaper price (US$13 less), I also get a much longer warranty.
Okay...plus a lot of time to learn how to replace a HDD and replace it myself. I was curious anyway, so if time is money to you, well.... you can bring it to Acer, or any computer shop can do it for you.

I wanted to get a bigger HDD capacity, but I read somewhere that the BIOS might not support it. So... 80GB is good enough for me.

So... I replaced the HDD.
turn the notebook on, went to BIOS, new HDD detected.
So I intalled the Operating system (Windows XP) using Acer's Recovery CD.
Done !!!!!!!
Computer running again :)

Only 1 problem though....
I didn't partition the new HDD, there was no option during instalation like you'd get using a Windows XP CD.
So... I now have 1 single partition on 80 GB
woohoooooooooo....................

How to partition a HDD next.

No comments: