Friday, July 10, 2009

Fujitsu S6510b Laptop Review

This post is long overdue ;p hohohoho
But.....
After researching and researching all kinds of available brands,
(Acer, Compaq, HP, Asus, Mac, etc)
After reading all those comments in forums
After a lot of staying up late overthinking what laptop I should get
(I know.... everyone thinks I overthink things)
I've decided to go with Fujitsu.
Fujitsu has a reputation of making a good quality laptop
(so I read and heard)
Plus it's made in Japan, although the adaptor is made in Indonesia.
but it's all good.

So... I bought the laptop and will see whether or not the reputation is true.



Fujitsu S6510b
Specs :
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.40GHz, 3MB L2 cache, 800MHz)
1 Gb RAM + 1 Gb RAM free upgrade.
250 Gb
Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
14.1" WXGA , LED screen, glossy
all others are Bluetooth, Wireless LAN, 1.3 mp camera, DVD writer, etc etc.

Software : Windows XP
Service Pack 2
I'm so scared downloading SP3 will mess everything, so I haven't

Pros:
- It's a Fujitsu, made in Japan... yea I'm still mesmerized by "made in Japan"
although parts are not entirely made in Japan.
- It has Windows XP (downgrade option)
when other laptop manufacturers don't have the downgrade to XP option,
Fujitsu still offers downgrade to XP, though not perfect.
- Nice useable trackpad
- It's very light... only 1.7 kg ? I never weigh it, that's what it says on the website ;p


Cons :
- the Keyboard is kinda wobbly when you type.
But functions well.
- It'd be better if the adaptor has a light indicator.
- the (removeable and very light) DVD+RW looks very fragile and needs a base support (table) when in use.


- since it's not meant for a desktop replacement,
the placement of the USB slots, 56k modem slot, placed on the right hand side, is kinda in the way when using a mouse.


- I honestly prefer a matte screen.
glossy screens is not so comfortable because of the glare, though I've kinda gotten used to it by now.
I said kinda.



- LED screen
gives a slight whitish shine on top and the bottom of the screen,
but after a while, you don't really care about it anymore.


Cons caused by problems :
- Tech support/Service center people not very accurate/helpful, although very friendly.
they say the laptop gets Norman Security Suite (Anti Virus & Personal Firewall)
(they even fax me that info and I called them up and ask them in person about it and they still confirm it)
but I only got the Norman Virus control CD
and the sales guy later said he printed the spec out of the web and fax it to me, so the data is not really accurate.....huh what ? whatever....

- After the free 1Gb RAM update, they forgot to stick the warranty sticker, so I had to return there.


- they didn't find a solution to fix my Omnipass-slow XP problem,
the stoopid sales guy said it's normal to have a slow startup after downgrading and it's gonna be normal on the next start up, I believed him, but it gets worse !!!
It takes up to 1 min 57 seconds to turn on the Laptop, and I haven't installed any programs whatsoever.
so I got back to the service center and they fiddled with it for half a day, including downloading the newest Omnipass driver, but still couldn't fix the problem, they uninstalled the Omnipass which seems to "solve" the problem.
What Fujitsu ? you offer an XP downgrade but mess it up.
and you don't have the NEWEST drivers in your Service Center ?? Aren't you responsible for providing customers with the newest drivers ???
I now have a useless fingerprint sensor,
It's supposed to be able to be used as a scroll function, but mine can't ,so I d/l the correct driver from Fujitsu website and it now can be used to scroll up and down, but it's just annoyingly not precise. I'd prefer a scroll up and down button please.

- they use S6410 driver for my S6510 laptop, but hey it works for most of it.
I don't think they have an accurate up-to-date drivers in their Service Center/Tech support center.

- when I use IE and click on the menu, plus when I go to Fujitsu Lifebook application panel,
weird message display about Quicktouch.exe and CPLKicker.exe, but after clicking yes, there seems to be no problem, I don't use that menu anyway... so I just ignore it.
And No.... the Fujitsu Tech guy didn't resolve that problem either.

- When you downgrade to Windows XP, They don't give you the original XP CD.
that only applies in USA, apparently.
So if anything should happen, *knock on wood* I can bring it to the service center and let them re-install Windows XP.

To think about it, now after almost 6 months owning this Fujitsu S6510 laptop,
The Tech support people are really not helpful at all, though they are nice people and they did try to resolve the problem, just unsuccesfully.
but then again... it is one Service center, so it doesn't really reflect Fujitsu's quality.
and it's probably just my laptop, they told me there are no other similar problems with other people who's purchased the S6510, but they could just be LYING.
Ohh I'm being so nice, I should just refunded the laptop, but hey... I don't think they have a refund policy here, besides I need a laptop to work.

But... so far.... the Fujitsu S6510 has been useful and works well.
If you compare it to other people complaining on the web about their laptops, mine works really well up to now.
Will I buy another Fujitsu ?
I might, but I prefer not to downgrade or upgrade the software.
I'll just stick with whatever software's included so everything's not messed up.
But then again... I don't really want Vista.

So I might get a Macbook next....
But I don't wanna re-learn everything...
Oh...we'll see.
Hopefully my Fujitsu S6510 lasts a long time :)

No comments: